Monday, September 15, 2008

Assignment 1c

I read Tara O'Brien's blog. She has just graduated from Sonoma State with a B.S. in biochemistry (which seems very difficult) and will be starting her master's at San Francisco State in January. Instead of just taking time off and enjoying a vacation, which she probabaly deserves after graduating, she is taking classes so she stays in school mode. She seems very smart and hard working.

From Tara I learned that Paulo Friere believed that poor people need educations so that they can succeed and not be dominated by people with political power. Also, in 1988 be became the Minister of Education for San Paulo, which put him in charge of school reform for two-thirds of Brazil.

______________________________________________________________________


I also visited Dave Laurice's blog. He is a teacher, which is what got me interested in reading his blog because I am about to start a tutoring job and feel that I need a better understanding what teach REALLY involves before I start. His experiences and little stories in his blog about his job are really cool.

What interested me the most about Dave's Paulo Friere blog is that he has learned about Friere's work before. When I was researching Paulo Friere for my own posting, I saw that his work is heavily quoted in some parts of the world, but not here. His work seemed beneficial to teachers of today also, so I was wondering if teachers learn about him, and Dave answered my question. I also learned about Friere's belief that teachers need to understand their students. He really stressed how important it is for a teacher to understand who the students are, what they want and experience, and how they live. It doesn't seem fair for someone to teach anyone when they don't understand them.

No comments: